Many bloodless surgery options available
If you desire medical or surgical care without the use of donor blood, the Blood Conservation Program at Lakewood Regional Medical Center offers:
- Special blood conservation methods to minimize your blood loss
- A variety of procedures possible without blood transfusions due to advanced technology
Lakewood’s Blood Conservation Program caters to patients who desire transfusion-free services during medical and surgical procedures, including general surgery, orthopedics, obstetrics, gynecology and most other procedures.
You may choose transfusion-free services, or “bloodless surgery” because of strong religious convictions that prevent you from receiving blood transfusion or for a personal preference against receiving donor blood due to the risk of blood-borne disease or transfusion reactions.
The multidisciplinary team of skilled physicians and surgeons at Lakewood is committed to blood conservation, using state-of-the-art blood conservation devices, pharmaceuticals and meticulous surgical techniques to minimize your blood loss during medical or surgical intervention.
Benefits of transfusion-free services
Advanced blood conservation methods can provide a number of benefits, while minimizing many traditional risks.
- Decreased risk of infection
- Decreased risk of blood-borne diseases and viruses
- Avoid allergic reactions and complications
- Fewer days in the hospital
- Reduced medical costs